Saturday, July 26, 2008

Alaska #7 -- July 26, 2008


On Saturday, I set the alarm for 4:45am (!) so we could see the ship enter Tracy Arm Fjord. Our daughter chose to stay in her bunk, but my wife and I dressed warmly and went down to the promenade deck. The naturalist never mentioned the outside temperature and I was happy he did not.
As we crossed the morane bar at the mouth of the fjord, we saw some whales. As we passed up the fjord, we saw more and more floating ice, which had a pretty blue color. I was impressed by the resemblance to Yosemite. I took the photo of the waterfall on that morning.
We stopped at a point where we could see a glacier up a branch to starboard. The naturalist said the face of the Sawyer Glacier was up a branch to port. We couldn't proceed any farther because of the ice. We drifted in place for about 30 minutes, then headed back.
I spent the rest of the day getting warm and exploring the ship. My daughter and I found the black box in the afternoon.
At dinner we found it was French Night (why not on Bastille Day?). I had the snails for my appetizer and frogs' legs for the entree. No one else at the table ordered either. I got my wife to try the frog and she enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being from Alaska, I have seen first hand the effects of global warming. I have witnessed glaciers calve off in monumental proportions.

In fact, I found a disturbing, yet spectacular movie that shows global warming footage of calving glaciers. Huge chunks of ice breaking off into the ocean! You can find this film called “Alaska, The Tracy Arm Experience” on Film Baby HERE:

http://www.filmbaby.com/films/4148

I highly recommend buying Alaska, The Tracy Arm Experience. Watch the glaciers disappear before your eyes and show your friends and family what is really going on in Alaska.