Sunday, October 25, 2020

Friday, October 23, 2020

Reduction in Prices of Ford Products -- October 23, 2020


Washington Evening Star, 06-October-1920

The Ford Motor Company repeatedly lowered the price of the Model T.

Thursday, October 22, 2020

The Accident at the Montparnasse Railway Station, Paris -- October 22, 2020


Engineering, 01-November-1895

125 years ago today, on 22-October-1895, a train entering the Montparnasse Railway Station in Paris, failed to stop and crashed through a wall. Falling debris killed a poor woman on the street. The crew and the passengers all survived. 

San Francisco Call, 17-November-1895


Elevated Train Crashes Through a
Station and Falls to the Street.

A remarkable accident occurred about two weeks ago in Paris, by which an engine and tender were precipitated from an elevated platform at the Montparnasse station. The train rolled into the train shed at a rate of about thirty-five miles an hour without being able to arrest itself, crashed through the bumpers at the end of the track, as well as the front wall of the station, and after traveling about forty-five feet tumbled into the street below, the engine fairly on its nose. Fortunately at this moment the air brake was put on and the rest of the train was prevented from going over. It was to this circumstance that the 123 passengers in the coaches owe their lives. As to the engineer and fireman they were saved by being thrown from the engine at the first shock and the only fatality, strange to say, that resulted from the whole affair, was the killing of a merchant in the street below by the fall of a block of stone detached from the wall by the shock. The cause of the accident -- quite the most singular in French railway annals -- is attributed to a defect in the hand brakes, which, strange to say, are always used on French trains, save in cases of emergency, when the air brakes are called into play, and in this case the air force could not be applied quickly or effectually enough.

Chicago Ball Players Accused of Conspiracy -- October 22, 2020


Morgan County, Tennessee Press, 22-October-1920

100 years ago today, on 22-October-1920, a grand jury indicted eight members of the Chicago White Sox and five gamblers for fixing the 1919 World Series. 

Thirteen Are
Indicted for
Ball "Fixing"

Seven Members of White Sox,
Three Former Players, Boxer
And Two Gamblers Are
Named by Grand Jury.

Chicago, Oct. 29. -- Two indictments charging 13 persons with operating a confidence game and conspiracy were returned in court today by the grand jury investigating the base ball scandal.

Seven members of the Chicago White Sox, three former base ball players, a boxer and two gamblers were named in the true bills voted recently,

The charges grew out of the alleged "fixing" of last year's world's series between the White Sox and Cincinnati.

Those indicted are:
Eddie Cicotte, Joe Jackson, Claude Williams, Fred McMullin, George Weaver, William Burns, Oscar Felsch and Charles Risberg, White Sox players: Arnold "Chick" Gandil. former White Sox player; Hal Chase, former New York Giants; Abe Attell, former boxer; Joseph "Sport" Sullivan of Boston; and Rachael Brown of New York.

The conspiracy indictment contains five counts, including charges of conspiracy to obtain money under false pretenses and to injure the business of the Chicago American league base ball club.

Three Confess.

Cicotte, Jackson and Williams Confessed to the grand jury they had accepted bribes to lose the series last year, and named the others as parties to the plot.

Extradition papers have been prepared by the state's attorney for the 13 and efforts will be made immediately, it was announced, to obtain their return to Chicago. Attell is reported to be in Canada; Cicotte in Detroit, Gandil in Texas, Jackson and Weaver in North Carolina.

True bills against three owners of base ball pools were voted today by the special Grand Jury Investigating base bell.

Owners of the Great Western, Universal and American-National pools are named In the bills. All are Chicago men.

Chief Justice McDonald announced that he would fix bail at $5,000 on each Indictment or 10,000 for each of those named.

To Meet Again Nov. 6.

Investigation of the pools resulted from numerous complaints received by the Grand jury from men holding winnings, who were unable to collect on their slips.

The special grand jury adjourned late today until November 6, when it will be dissolved unless further evidence Is brought up for consideration.

Those against whom true bills were voted today are:
William Chellue, Martin Carlin and F. C. Walters, all of Chicago,

While the grand jurors were returning the indictment before Chief Justice Charles A. McDonald. Ban Johnson, president of the American league, turned over to Assistant State's Attorney Hartley Replogle a letter from a Kansas City sporting editor alleging that "Frog" Thompson, Kansas City gambler received a telegram, from Claud Hendrix, Chicago Cub player advising, him to "bet $5,000 on the opposition" in the game between Philadelphia and Chicago here August 29. It was the circumstance surrounding the Cubs defeat on that data that started the base ball gambling investigation. The Kansas City letter also alleges that Thompson received a telegram from Hal Chase, who was then In California, confirming the Hendrix message.

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Satisfied Users of Reo Speed Wagon -- October 21, 2020


Richmond Times-Dispatch, 31-October-1920

Among the "Satisfied Users of Reo Speed Wagons" was the "Coca-Cola Bottling Co., Emporia, Va.."

Monday, October 19, 2020

Coulter -- Skeleton Steamer Beaver -- October 19, 2020


San Francisco Call, 23-May-1895

William A Coulter did many maritime drawings for the San Francisco Call.

Captain Mathew Turner, the ship builder, has lately turned out two steamers for Alaskan waters which are now being shipped thither on the brig Geneva. One is the Alice, 160 feet long and about 400 tons burden, she contains over 100,000 feet of lumber and is being loaded onto the brig in sections.

The other is the little stern-wheel steamer Beaver. She weighs just seventeen tons, but when stripped of her boiler and wheel for hoisting aboard the Geneva, she will balance the scale at twelve tons. She draws about fifteen inches of water and is admirably fitted for the shallow tributaries of the Yukon, where she will be used. The vessel is of twenty tons burden and her engine is about thirty horse-power. She is without house or deck and her machinery, completely exposed, gives her an uncanny and skeleton-like appearance.

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Huell Howser 75 -- October 18, 2020

Popular historian Huell Howser was born 75 years ago today, on 18-October-1945. Howser shared his enthusiasm about life and history and nature with all of us on California's Gold and other programs.  I loved the way he would focus on tiny details and talk to anyone about their lives.