Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Annette Funicello, Rogert Ebert, Les Blank, Margaret Thatcher -- April 9, 2013

A bunch of people died in the last week or so.

Annette Funicello was known for being nice, onscreen and in real life.  When she came down with Multiple Sclerosis, she did much to teach people about the disease.  I could never sit through a Beach movie, but that wasn't her fault.

Roger Ebert was known for being generous to fellow film lovers.  I remember when he and Gene Siskel started reviewing films on the PBS show Sneak Preview. He kindly supported the three For the Love of Film blogathons that I have participated in. 

I have enjoyed every Les Blank film that I have seen. 

Margaret Thatcher?  Not generous.  Not nice.  I have not enjoyed her work.  She destroyed unions.  She hurt the needy.  She beat up on Argentina.  She did not oppose apartheid enough to try to do anything about it. I suppose conservatives will try to make her a saint, they way they did her friend, the mediocre actor, mediocre governor, and mediocre president Ronald Reagan.  

No comments: