Friday, October 17, 2008

"It was just food to me. It didn't mean anything else" -- October 17, 2008

So I was driving home from the park and ride yesterday and I heard an interesting story on NPR, about a Southern California Republican Women's group that had reproduced this image in its monthly newsletter. I had to look it up and see if the radio story was correct. The newsletter's introduction to the image read "Obama talks about all those presidents that got their names on bills. If elected, what bill would he be on????? Food Stamps, what else!" When reporters asked the writer about this, she is quoted as saying it was "strictly an attempt to point out the outrageousness of his statement. I really don't want to go into it any further. I absolutely apologize to anyone who was offended. That clearly wasn't my attempt. I didn't see it the way that it's being taken. I never connected. It was just food to me. It didn't mean anything else." I can see why she doesn't want to go into it any further. I worry that we're going to see more crap like this before the election.

No comments: