Monday, August 6, 2007

Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - August 6, 2007


I finished reading JK Rowling's last Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. My daughter found the conclusion to be unsatisfactory, but I though Rowling wrapped things up nicely.
I remember reading the UK news on Yahoo one evening and seeing a report that kids in the UK were lining up for the second book in a series I had never heard of.
The next day at lunch I went to the Alexander Book Company on Second Street and asked if they had ever heard of the author. The clerk said they had just gotten the first book of the series. Remarkably, I had enough money in my pocket, so I bought the book. I was sad t0 see that they title had been changed from "Philosper's Stone" to "Sorcerer's Stone". Alchemists were not looking for a sorcerer's stone. They weren't sorcerers. Things went crazy shortly after.
I have enjoyed all seven books, although I find that I often forget important plot points from one book to the next.
My favorite thing about the books is the names of the places and characters. I've always enjoyed a good name.
I like the way Harry and other characters grow and develop morally during the course of the books. Harry was faced with moral decisions and he made good ones, and we could see the process he went through to reach them.

No comments: