Friday, February 17, 2023

Senator Dianne Feinstein to Retire -- February 17, 2023


 Senator Dianne Feinstein has announced that she will retire from the Senate where she has served since 1992. Many of my Democratic Party friends found her too conservative, but she was a smart politician and she did many good things, like the 1995 assault weapons ban, which unfortunately expired in 2004. She became a San Francisco Supervisor in 1969, before district elections. As President of the Board, she became mayor when Mayor George Moscone and fellow Supervisor Harvey Milk were assassinated in 1978. She served as mayor during the Great Reconstruction of the cable car system in 1982-1984. She will not seek reelection next year. 

Her aunt lived across the street from my family's house and my mother knew both of them. 

I could swear I saw Dianne Feinstein perform in the amateur portion of the Cable Car Bell Ringing Contest, but I have not been able to determine what year that was. When I contacted her office, her staff was unable to find out.

No comments: