Friday, September 28, 2012

End of the Passage -- September 28, 2012

From the 28-October-1898 San Francisco Call. William A Coulter did many maritime drawings for the newspaper. Click on the image to see a larger version. 


Barkentine Addenda in Trouble.


Started to Land His Honolulu Passengers Before the State Quarantine Officer Had Passed His Vessel.

The Golden Gate was crowded with arriving and departing vessels last Wednesday night and yesterday. Many of them were coasters, but still there were ten barkentines, barks and ships among the fleet that arrived. Among them were the British ship Bothwell, 148 days from Newcastle, England; Allerton, 74 days from Newcastle, Australia; Italian ship F. S. Ciampa 154 days from Swansea; British ship Miltonburn, 142 days from Swansea; British ship Eurasia, 139 days from Antwerp; brig W. G. Irwin, 19 days from Honolulu; bark Roderick Dhu, 13 days from Hilo; Norwegian ship Hiawatha, 152 days from l,eith; bark Albert, 18 days, and barkentine Addenda, 20 days from Honolulu.

All these vessels came up the coast with a good fair wind, but when they got off the Golden Gate the wind fell light, and they could make no progress. The Addenda attempted to sail in, but when she got between the heads the wind failed and she began to drift. Captain Delano was afraid his vessel might go ashore, so he came to an anchor. In a short time the tug Sea King came along and towed him to a safer berth.

Captain Griffiths of the bark Albert got into trouble with the State Quarantine Officer. While the Governor Perkins was putting Dr. Hill aboard the Addenda Captain Milestone noticed. that Captain Griffiths and three of his passengers were going ashore from the Albert. He at once gave chase and overhauled, the Albert's boat before she reached Powell street wharf. The boat and passengers were taken back to the Albert and were told to remain there until the Quarantine Officer had passed the vessel. For this breach of the law Captain .Griffiths could have been arrested and heavily fined, out: the doctor did not press the matter when
the captain explained that he acted in ignorance of the law.

The new ferry steamer Berkeley was put on the run between San Francisco and Oakland yesterday She took the Piedmont's place on the route, and will keep it until that vessel has been thoroughly overhauled. The Berkeley is a very fast and comfortable ferry-boat, but she will miss the paddle-wheels when it blows a southeaster. Without these steadiers, she will roll like a ship in a gale, and many of the commuters will know what it is to be seasick on the bay.

The transport Zealandia is taking on Government stores, and will be ready to sail for Manila on Sunday or Monday at the latest.

The Harbor Commissioners had a lively session yesterday. Commissioner Herold started the ball rolling by moving that two berths at Folsom street wharf be assigned to the Alaska Packers Association and one to the Alaska Commercial Company. This Mr. Colnon objected to on the ground that Folsom street wharf had been built expressly for the Oceanic Steamship Company, and that concern should be compelled to use it. Both Herrold and Harney pointed out that the commission was appointed to improve and look after the shipping interests of the port. The very best facilities should be given large companies, and if one wharf was better adapted to ocean trade than another the ship owner should have the choice. The Oceanic Steamship Company found Pacific street wharf more suitable than Folsom street wharf and wanted to remain there. Other equally large shipping concerns wanted space at Folsom street and the board could please everybody by granting the request of the Alaska Packers' and Alaska Commercial companies. The motion was carried. Then Mr Colnon wanted the rent of Pacific street wharf increased, and the matter was laid over for further consideration.

The Bibb Lumber Company asked for a reduction on the sum of $3850 wharfage charged on the lumber rafts that reached port.  The matter was referred to the chief engineer and chief wharfinger.

The steamer Columbia from Portland has been unable to discharge her cargo of wheat and will in consequence be a day late in leaving port. The agents of the vessel complained to the commission and Chief Wharfinger Root explained that the trouble was all caused by grain dealers falling to remove their wheat from the grain sheds in the regulation twenty days. The Commissioners passed a resolution by which all owners will have to pay 10 cents a ton a day for every day over the twenty that the wheat remains on the wharves, or until the chief wharfinger can find a warehouse in which to store it at the owner's expense. 

The Norwegian ship Hiawatha, loaded with coal, reached port last evening 152 days from Leith. Captain Jorgensen reports that when out about six weeks the coal in the main hatch became heated.  It was carefully watched for a couple of weeks, when it became hotter and a large portion of it had to be thrown overboard. The cargo again became heated shortly before the arrival here. On August 26 the vessel was struck by a heavy sea which knocked the life boats loose and broke the compass on the bridge. The boats were secured without being much damaged.

No comments: