Saturday, November 13, 2010

Kevin Brownlow -- November 13, 2010

Today Kevin Brownlow will get a special Academy Award in recognition of his work as a film historian and preservationist. It's well deserved, but I don't understand why he's getting it in November, and not as part of the regular ceremony. I also don't see why Francis Ford Coppola is getting the Irving Thalberg award today, rather than at the big show.

I found Brownlow's The Parade's Gone By at the Anza Branch library while I was in grammar school. I read it through, and took it out many more times until I had enough money to buy a paperback copy. Later, I read his books about Westerns and Gance's Napoleon. I learned a lot from his television productions like Hollywood, Chaplin, and Keaton.

I blame Kevin Brownlow for my love of silent film.

This is the 800th post in my blog.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Sounds like a really good book; will have to look for that one. I'd like to read more by him. Can't wait to see some photos from tonight's event. PS Congrats on your milestone post. Tom

Joe Thompson said...

Tom: I recommend the book highly. Thanks for the congrats.