Saturday, February 21, 2009

Radio Site #3 -- February 21, 2009


Hotel Whitcomb on Market near Civic Center was built in 1910. It served as a temporary City Hall until the current one opened in 1915. I was sad to see some years ago that it no longer says "City Hall" over the entrance.
The Whitcomb housed at least two radio stations over the years. KFRC started there in 1924. It moved its studio and transmitter the City of Paris store in 1925. KYA's studios were there from 1930 to 1934 and its transmitter was there from 1930 to 1937.
I think I remember Jazzbeaux broadcasting from there in the 1970s, but I can't find a record of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recall Jazzbeaux Collins' live KMPX broadcasts at the Whitcomb during 1973-1974. KMPX was located on the Whitcomb's top floor penthouse office. At the time the Whitcomb was known as the Franciscan Hotel. KMPX had adopted an "old time radio" format and would broadcast recordings of such classic radio shows as The Green Hornet

Joe Thompson said...

I'm glad you remember Jazzbeaux at the San Franciscan, too. I miss him.