Thursday, December 16, 2021

Opening of the New French Hospital - December 16, 2021

San Francisco Call, 29-June-1895

I vaguely remember big brick buildings on Geary Boulevard that my parents said were the French Hospital. Despite my young age, I wondered why there was a hospital for French people. Later, I learned that some Basque-French-American schoolmates went to French Hospital for their medical needs. 

People of French descent formed the La Societe Francaise de Bienfaisance Mutuelle in 1851. The hospital moved to the current area, Geary between Fifth and Sixth, in 1895. I remember the brick buildings being torn down and replaced by a modern building, which was dedicated in 1963. Some brick buildings still survive on Anza. Kaiser Permanente now operates the hospital as the Kaiser French Campus.

No comments: