Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Labor Day #2 -- September 7, 2009


Andrew Furuseth, born in Norway, was an early member of the union that became the Sailors' Union of the Pacific. He was head of the union from 1891 to 1935, and during that time he pushed for laws to improve conditions for sailors, including the banning of corporal punishment. The monument was erected on the Embarcadero in 1941, but was moved to the front of the SUP headquarters on Rincon Hill to make way for the Embarcadero Freeway. On the front of the monument is a famous quote from Furuseth: "You can put me in jail. But you cannot give me narrower quarters than as a seaman I have always had. You cannot give me coarser food than I have always eaten. You cannot make me lonelier than I have always been."
I took the photo on 04-September-2009.
The Bay Bridge work has been complicated by the discovery of a crack in the cantilever section. News stories kept referring to an "I-beam," but they meant an "eye bar."

No comments: