Friday, February 8, 2019

Frank Robinson and John Dingell, RIP -- February 8, 2019


I was sorry to hear about the death of Frank Robinson.  He grew up in Oakland.  I don't remember when he played for the Reds, but I remember when he played for the Orioles.  I didn't see the American League much except for the Game of the Week and the World Series, but he often turned up.  He was the first black manager in the majors when he managed Cleveland.  Then he managed the Giants from 1981 to 1984. Giants broadcasters Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow tell many stories about his fearsomeness.  He was active in the Civil Rights movement.


I was also sorry to learn of the death of retired Representative John Dingell of Michigan.  He served as an officer during World War Two and then became the longest-serving Representative, holding the office from 1955 to 2015.  He fought for civil rights and health care.  He was a vocal opponent of our current so-called president:

"I signed up to fight Nazis 73 years ago and I'll do it again if I have to.  Hatred, bigotry, and fascism should have no place in this country."

"“Crooks like Donald Trump will steal a hot stove and come back for the smoke. There’s no bar too low.”"

No comments: