Saturday, December 15, 2018

Fats Waller 75 Years -- December 15, 2018

www.listal.com
75 years ago today, on 15-December-1943, great American composer and performer Fats Waller died of pneumonia while riding the eastbound Super Chief.

I remember when my parents bought a box set of LPs with songs by famous performers.  The two that really got to me were "I Have a Right to Sing the Blues" by Cab Calloway and "It's a Sin to Tell a Lie" by Fats Waller and his Rhythm.  I listened to both tracks repeatedly and learned the lyrics, at least the ones that I could understand.  I went looking for more music by both men, but I found more by Waller.  I'm sorry I never took piano lessons.

I learned that he was a great performer, pianist, organ player, singer and entertainer.  I'm sorry he died at 39. "One never knows, do one?"






""Your pedal extremities are colossal"

No comments: