Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Alexander Solzhenitsyn 100 -- December 11, 2018

www.listal.com
Russian author Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn was born 100 years ago today, on 11-December-1918. He grew up during the Russian Civil War.  He was a decorated officer in the Great Patriotic War.
During that war, he began to doubt the righteousness of the Soviet Union.  In early 1945 he was arrested and sentenced to eight years because.

I first read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich in college. Years later, I came across The Gulag Archipelago in the library and remembered that I had read the reviews with interest.  Later I worked with a programmer who had left the Soviet Union and he highly recommended August 1914 and The First Circle.

I remember when the Soviets expelled him and he came to America.

No comments: