Friday, November 7, 2014

1502 at Geneva Car Barn -- November 7, 2014



I recently went to Saint Anthony-Immaculate Conception School in San Francisco to talk to the Fifth Grade about an American history essay contest:
http://cablecarguy.blogspot.com/2014/10/a-childs-journey-through-ellis-island-2.html

After I was done, I walked up Cesar Chavez to Guerrero and around to San Jose Avenue.  I went up 30th Street to Dolores and caught an outbound J-Church.  There is work going on around Balboa Park and the Metro Center, so the train stopped in the middle of San Jose, just past Geneva.  As I walked to the BART station, I caught a shot of Breda 1502 leaving the Cam Beach yard and passing the Geneva car barn office building, which was built in 1901 by the San Francisco and San Mateo Electric Railway. It served the Market Street Railway, the United Railroads, the new Market Street Railway and finally Muni for many years. The building has been empty since the 1989 earthquake, but it has been stabilized and may become a recreation center. The banner advertises the group trying to make that happen:
http://www.genevacarbarn.org/history/

No comments: