Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Byte Magazine -- Guide to the IBM Personal Computers -- August 23, 2022

vintagefreeware.com

I used to subscribe to Byte Magazine. Here is the cover of a special issue dedicated to IBM Personal Computers. The first IBM PC came with an 8088 processor, 64kb of RAM and two 5 1/4" floppy drives. I remember that the PC XT came with more memory and a hard drive. I don't think I ever used a PC Portable. The XT3270 and the IBM 3270 could act as stand-alone PCs or as 3270 terminal emulators. I used 3270 emulators for many years at Wells Fargo. I never used an S9000. 

This issue was published before IBM introduced the OS/2 line, which never caught on. 

IBM did the right thing when it chose an open architecture for the IBM PC, but clones eventually drove them out of the market. The first PC that I bought was an ATT 6300 that came with a faster 8086 processor. 

No comments: