Sunday, October 4, 2020

Janis Joplin 50 Years -- October 4, 2020

www.listal.com
Janis Joplin died 50 years ago today, on 04-October-1970.  I remember the story on the news.  I always looked forward to hearing her music on the radio. 

listal.com

I remember seeing the cover of Big Brother and the Holding Company's Cheap Thrills. It may have been my first exposure to R Crumb. 

Years later I read an article that said she had auditioned for San Francisco traditional jazz band leader Turk Murphy.  He liked her voice but he didn't want to hire a "beatnik."  It would have been interesting.  This is not the original article, but it has some nice details about Janis singing some songs with Dick Oxtot.  Oxtot recommended her to Turk Murphy: http://jazzhotbigstep.com/428723.html






No comments: