Saturday, February 20, 2016

Harper Lee and Jim Davenport, RIP -- February 20, 2016

www.lucywho.com
I was sad to learn of the passing of author Harper Lee.  Lots of people were shocked last year when her "second novel" got published.  It turned out to be the first novel she wrote, parts of which got rewritten into To Kill a Mockingbird.  I worried that someone was taking advantage of an elderly lady. 

I wrote this for Father's Day 2012: "When I read the book To Kill a Mockingbird and then saw the movie, Atticus Finch reminded me of my father.  My dad rarely lectured about what was right or how to do things.  He mostly led by example.  His example showed me how to be honest and brave and to try to do the right thing.   I hope I have come close to setting a similar example as a father."



I was also sad to learn that Jim Davenport, a lifelong Giant, as player, coach, briefly manager and front-office guy.  He was a fantastic third baseman at a time when third basemen were not expected to be power hitters. 

No comments: