Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Hoyt Wilhelm -- January 14, 2015


Inspired by the book Few and Chosen: Defining Giants Greatness Across the Eras by Giants great Bobby Thomson and Phil Pepe, I thought I would devote my nickname meme to Giants players for the past several months.  Next month I will wrap it up. 

Right handed relief pitcher Hoyt Wilhelm threw a knuckleball.  This allowed him to pitch in the major leagues until he was nearly 50.  I remember being amazed a few years before he retired learning that a former New York Giant was still pitching. 

He was called Ol' Sarge because he was a veteran of World War Two, who served in the Battle of the Bulge and reached the rank of Staff Sergeant. 

His success with the Giants and other teams inspired many managers to rely on a relief ace. 

No comments: